Day of action yesterday in Moscow against anti "gay propaganda" law towards minors under the symbol Conchita Wurst
By Jean Rossignol, June 1st 2014
LGBT activists in Moscow have sought to draw attention this Saturday, May 31, 2014 on two things :
- The celebration of the decriminalization of homosexuality in 1993. A rally was to take place on June 2, but was rejected by the City of Moscow "because of an accident on rainwater" (cf. Article Gay Russia : http://www.gayrussia.eu/russia/9403/
"We stumbled upon the problem of storm sewer and it is under construction. They will last from May 30 to June 5. The Parade may not physically be held since there will be work on the sidewalks" (Yuli Vorontsov spokesman for the city of Moscow).
- The repeal of the so called "gay propaganda towards minors" Act (it violates the Russian Constitution on equality of citizens).
Three actions took place:
- A "Gay Pride" towards the Moscow city hall, which had been prohibited by the mayor, demonstrators heading towards the monument of Yuri Dolgoruky, facing the city hall, headed by two activists holding a rainbow flag on which was written :
"Wedding ! Children ! Safety !".
(via Grani.Ru : http://grani.ru/Politics/Russia/m.229864.html and LGBT News Russia :
An anti gay wanted to tear this flag from their opponents (what a sacrilege), but they managed to keep it ... and, as usual in Russia, they were shipped by the police and detained (on which ground ?).
At the same time, LGBT activists have sued several anti gay opponents and they drove them away (see video Grani.Ru : http://youtu.be/NHmhxVTqxzs).
During the protest outside the city of Moscow, doctor Olga Masarova came in support of the LGBT activists, outraged by the anti-gay law :
"It is the nature, no law against propaganda can prevent nature".
(via Times of Malta, Video:
Protesters waved placards, saying including :
"Knowledge rather than propaganda and hatred", "School for All".
- Several LGBT activists, including Nikolai Alekseev have come, parading in Moscow , on a car and a trailer bristling rainbow flags, spreading the Conchita Wurst song "Rise like a phoenix" (very popular in Russia).
They wore wigs, wink to Conchita Wurst and have not been arrested.
- At Gorky Park, a major gathering for Conchita Wurst took place, several girls being drawn beards in the "Queen of Austria" style, a festive gathering, also violently repressed, since 4 demonstrators were embarked with force by the police and are still in custody ("the bearded girl" immediately attracted the attention of the police and the medias. Cops arrested her. ").
Vladimir Putin had made a statement condemning Conchita Wurst, symbol of the decadence of the West, while repeating that he was for equal rights for homosexuals.
Russia adopted the "anti gay" law last year (how could we qualify it otherwise, despite the Putin's double language).
Since, she has invaded and annexed Crimea and she especially banished all oppostion, prohibiting her the right to demonstrate, publish, meet.
This, of course, to defend Russia against the West and the stranger.
A Russia which goes straight into the wall.
Currently 6 LGBT activists for equal rights are still held in Russian prisons, including journalist Anna Annenkov from "Novaya Gazeta" and Elena Kostyuchenko.
Grani.Ru video : "Gay Parade in Moscow passed !"